Monday, September 20, 2010

Classic Blueberry Muffins: the explicit version



Ahh. For me, this is one of those foods that makes me all warm and fuzzy with happy memories. My mom used to make these muffins for my brothers and I when we were kids. Sometimes we would eat entire meals composed only of muffins, butter, and milk. And, on another nostalgic note, these were the very first thing I started baking.

Today, a dear friend of mine is having his birthday, and he requested these muffins. Not the safe, gluten-free version, but the sweet, glutenful, sinful version. But, I like to think I'm a good friend. Who am I to deny the muffins? So here's a recipe from my wild, gluten-eating years. Warning: you might shed sweet tears when you eat these. They do that.


MOMMA'S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs cinnamon (this makes the muffins)
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 400. Line or grease a muffin tin. In a small bowl, mix together the first 3 wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients and blueberries. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. Mix, sparingly, until everything is just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX, you'll get tough muffins. Immediately spoon into muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Makes a dozen muffins, with a little batter-snacking.

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Stuckey,
    I creep on this blog daily! I absolutely love your recipes! My mom was recently diagnosed with Celiacs and I shared the link with her too because I knew most of your recipes were gluten free. This is almost identical to my recipe for blueberry muffins, except that I add a dash of allspice and top them with a streusel mixture with cinnamon, sugar, flour and butter to make them just a little more sinful. The cinnamon streusel blueberry muffin wins boys' hearts... and I'm not even kidding. Can't wait to see your gluten free version!!!

    Love and miss you,
    Chizzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel! I'm so excited to see that you're one of my readers. That streusel topping sounds amazing; I believe that streusel topping is generally a good idea for everything! And you're right...these muffins are man-winners. Hope all is well with you and your fam! Much love!

    ReplyDelete