Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Kale Chips



Okay, I know. I know what you're thinking. But stop--take a deep breath. Open your mind. Ready? Okay. I am absolutely not joking when I say this...

These kale chips were amazing.

You're skeptical, right? I don't blame you. I'll be the first to say that I'm highly suspicious of dark, leafy greens with odd names. Kale sounds weird. It looks weird. And you know what? When you bake it with a healthy dose of olive oil and salt, it is DELICIOUS.

The crunch! My god, the crunch. The crunch on these chips is (dare I say it?) ephemeral. In this form, they don't taste like a sinister leafy green. They taste like, well, chips! Salty, crispy in your mouth, snackable chips.

Not to mention that kale is loaded with calcium, iron, vitamin C, vitamin A, fiber--well, I could go on, but whatever. Strangely enough, I don't particularly care that kale is hyper healthy. These chips are just good. And no, I'm not kidding: totally craveable.

Oh and p.s. these don't even taste like kale.


CRISPY KALE CHIPS

1 bunch curly kale
About 3 tbs oil
1 tbs salt

Preheat the oven to 350. Rinse the kale and dry it thoroughly. Cut off and discard the hardy stems in the middle of the leaves. Cut the kale leaves into small (about 1 inch) pieces.

In a bowl, mix the kale with the olive oil and salt. With your hands, massage the oil and salt into the leaves until all the kale is covered. Spread the kale out onto a baking sheet and bake for about 11-15 minutes, or until nice and crispy. Mine took exactly 13 minutes.

Keep an eye on them, because they'll go from crisp deliciousness to burnt failure in seconds flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment