Saturday, April 30, 2011

gluten free banana bread (with chocolate chips)


Is there much more I can say about banana bread?

This is what I want today: for a hired baker to come to my apartment. I'd like them to bake banana bread 24 hours a day. I love the way it makes my apartment smell like heaven. It's a nice alternative to the second-hand cigarette stench my neighbor sends through the air vent.

(Dear neighbor: please read this and bake banana bread instead of smoking. Love Amanda.)

How could he say no? Look at that brown banana crust. Put down the cancer wand, my friend. Take a pinch of crust.


GLUTEN FREE BANANA BREAD LOAF
Adapted from Book of Yum

1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup buckwheat or oat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
---------------------------
1 1/2 cups smashed bananas
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
---------------------------
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the first six ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine the next 5 ingredients.*
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients into the well and fold until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

* I use an immersion blender for this step. Works like a dream!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting tweak of my banana bread! I haven't really had chocolate chip banana bread... maybe I'll try it next time. :)

    -Sea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, you should try it! Chocolate chips are the bacon of baked goods...they improve everything.

    ReplyDelete