Wednesday, January 5, 2011

sweet potato hash


Carbs are my number-one vice. If I had to choose my last meal on earth, it would probably be a heaping bowl of spaghetti, garlic bread, and a side of mexican beans & rice. Maybe some mashed potatoes too, just for good measure.

Nonetheless, I have a conscience, so I don't feast on starches every single night. Most starches do undesirable things to my body (stomach and waistline alike.) For the most part, I avoid excessive carbs, and feel much better for it.


There is one starch, however, that always treats me kindly: my good buddy, the sweet potato. It has more vitamins, more fiber, and a lower glycemic index than white potatoes. When I'm not making them like this or this, I like to dress them up with a mix of sweet & savory spices in a simple hash. (If you're feeling up to it, top this with a fried egg--oh baby.)

SWEET POTATO HASH
serves one

1/2 large sweet potato
2-3 tbs olive oil
salt & pepper
1/4 large onion, diced
1/2 cup chicken stock (water will work in a pinch)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to broil. Peel & dice the sweet potato into small, 3/4" cubes. Rub a cast-iron or oven-proof skillet with the olive oil. Add the sweet potatoes with a small shake of salt & pepper. Toss to coat.
2. Put the potatoes under the broiler for 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to 350 degrees and bake for another five minutes. (This will allow the potatoes to form a crispy outside.)
3. Remove the pan from the oven and set it on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion starts to become translucent.
4. Add 1/4 cup of the chicken stock, and cover the pan. Once the liquid evaporates, add the rest of the stock & repeat. (This will steam the potatoes to cook them through.)
5. Add the spices & toss to coat. Taste, & add salt & pepper if needed.

1 comment: